Liposuction is a surgical procedure to remove excess, stubborn fat deposits between the skin and muscle. It can be performed on different body areas, such as the outer and inner thighs, hips, buttocks, arms, and neck. Liposuction removes pockets of fat that are difficult to remove by dieting and exercising; however, it is not a substitute for a healthy lifestyle that involves a balanced diet and regular physical activity.
If you are planning to undergo this procedure, you may want to book an appointment today with the leading female plastic surgeon in the UAE, Dr. Chiara Stocco. The best thing about Dr. Chiara is that she listens to what you want and gives you honest advice on achieving your goals. She is highly professional and kind and has made you feel comfortable from day 1.
Am I a suitable candidate for liposuction?
Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure and will not remove stretch marks or cellulite; it is performed to permanently remove fat tissue and can alter body shape.
Liposuction is suitable for people who are not overweight but have certain body areas that have excess fat affecting their body shape. Common areas where stubborn fat accumulates include:
- Neck, Chin & Jowls
- Upper arms
What are the benefits of liposuction?
Dr. Chiara has helped many patients restore their confidence and improve their health and lifestyle through liposuction as it offers many benefits, including:
- Removing stubborn fat that is resistant to diet and exercise
- Improving body contours
- Preventing excess sweating
- Providing lasting benefits if patients maintain a healthy diet and regular exercise
What does liposuction consultation involve?
During your consultation, Dr. Chiara will review your medical history and assess the body areas you wish to improve to determine your suitability for liposuction.
Due to the physiological limits related to the amount of fat that can be removed during surgery, patients under and over a certain BMI may not be suitable for fat removal surgery.
Depending on your needs and cosmetic goals, Dr. Chiara can combine liposuction with other procedures, such as tummy tuck.
Once it is decided that the surgery is right for you, Dr. Chiara will create a personalized treatment plan for you and discuss the risks, limitations, and benefits of liposuction.
What happens during liposuction?
Liposuction is performed under general anesthesia and can take between 1 – 3 hours, depending on your requirements and the number of treatment areas.
During the procedure, Dr. Chiara uses a thin tube called a cannula that is inserted through small incisions in the skin. The cannula, which is usually powered by ultrasound or laser, loosens the fat tissue by moving it back and forth, and then a special suction device is attached to the cannula, and the fat is sucked from the body. Finally, the incisions are closed with stitches and the treatment area is covered with bandages and a compressing garment.
The surgery is performed as a day case, and patients can usually go home on the same day if no complications occur.
Does liposuction cause scarring?
The incisions made to perform liposuction are smaller than 0.5cm, and the scars caused by the incisions will disappear over time.
What happens after liposuction?
- After surgery, you may experience some discomfort, bruising, and swelling in the treatment areas; this is normal and expected after surgery and will subside after 7-21 days.
- Dr. Chiara advises her patients to take 1 -2 weeks off work following liposuction.
- You can resume light activities a couple of days after your procedure, but you must avoid strenuous activities for at least 4 weeks.
- You will have to wear tight compression garments for 4-6 weeks to aid healing and prevent excess swelling.
- You can expect the treated area to have a more defined appearance after a few months. Although your skin will naturally lose some firmness due to aging, liposuction results will be long lasting if you maintain a healthy weight.
Book your appointment today with Dr. Chiara!
If you want to improve your body contours and think liposuction is a good option for you, book a consultation with Dr. Chiara, and she will help you achieve the desired look.